Every now and them I try something like this out. Sometimes I think it is not often enough and other times I worry that teachers have so much to do in their classrooms that they do not want my 10 minutes activities. However, from feedback that I get they like to have these activities to do with their students at different times of the year.
Here is the activity that I have just posted for the school to work on: School Wide Pumpkin Activity
Some of the reasons that I think that they are important to do are:
- There are always curriculum connections that apply to each grade level.
- They build community within the school.
- It gets teachers talking about what they are going in their classrooms.
- The kids get excited and love to tell me about their learning experience around the task.
- It gets continues to get me involved in what learning is happening in the classrooms in the school.
If any other administrators do similar things I would love to hear about it and find out what your experiences are with these type of tasks.